Tom Hanks breaks silence on 'Toy Story 5': 'The saga continues'

Tom Hanks reveals nervous truth behind voicing Woody for five films

By Maryam Nadeem May 21, 2026
Tom Hanks breaks silence on 'Toy Story 5': 'The saga continues'
Tom Hanks breaks silence on 'Toy Story 5': 'The saga continues'

Tom Hanks has admitted he still can’t quite believe he’s been part of the Toy Story family for three decades, as excitement builds for the upcoming fifth film in the blockbuster franchise.

The 69-year-old Hollywood star has voiced the much-loved Sheriff Woody since 1995, when the first Toy Story changed animation history forever. 

Now, he’s back once again alongside returning favourites including Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, John Ratzenberger and Wallace Shawn.

Speaking about Toy Story 5, Hanks said he has already seen the film and was full of praise.

He called it “a vibrant and proper chapter” in the series. 

But even after all these years, he admits the experience still feels surreal.

“None of us can believe that we’re still a part of it,” he said, clearly still amazed by the franchise’s staying power.

However, don’t expect any spoilers from Woody’s voice. 

Forrest Gump star was very careful when asked about the plot, joking: “Oh my Lord, all I can say is the saga continues.”

While official details remain tightly under wraps, the new film is set to shake things up. 

Early synopsis hints that Buzz, Woody, Jessie and the gang face a modern challenge when a new smart tablet named Lilypad enters Bonnie’s life, sparking a debate over what “playtime” even means in today’s world.

The Green Mile actor has also previously admitted that recording each film brings back the same nerves. 

Despite the familiarity of the studio setup, he said he always feels “anxiety, pressure and physical demands” during sessions.

RELATED: Tom Hanks' brother Jim Hanks drops shocking 'Toy Story' revelation