Meghan Markle recalls harrowing incident where Archie almost died

Meghan Markle shared that her nanny's heroics saved her son's life

By Samantha David August 24, 2022
Meghan Markle was shocked to learn that her son's room had caught fire while she and Prince Harry were away

In the latest Meghan Meghan news, the Duchess of Sussex narrated a horrific incident of her and Prince Harry's son Archie narrowly escaped a fire while they were on the their royal tour to South Africa back in 2019.

Speaking in her Archetypes podcast she was in conversation with her guest Serena Williams and shared how she was shaken when informed that a fire broke out in Archie's room.

She said: "There was this moment where I’m standing on a tree stump and I’m giving this speech to women and girls, and we finish the engagement, we get in the car and they say there’s been a fire at the residence. What? There’s been a fire in the baby’s room."

She added: "We came back. And, of course, as a mother, you go, 'Oh, my God, what?' Everyone’s in tears, everyone’s shaken. And what do we have to do? Go out and do another official engagement. I said, 'This doesn’t make any sense'."

However, in a miraculous turn of events, Archie’s then nanny, named Lauren, a Zimbabwean, routinely tied him on her back with a mud cloth. 

She had done that and taken him downstairs with her while she went to get a snack not knowing that the heater in the nursery caught fire.