Archie Battersbee to be shifted to hospice as legal battle nears end

By Sarah Khan August 05, 2022
Court to withdraw life support from Archie Battersbee as family contemplates shifting the 12-year-old to a hospice

12-year-old Archie Battersbee’s life supports legal battle has come to an end after the family agreed to end treatment.

The family of Archie has agreed to court orders after the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) refused an application from the boy's parents to delay any changes to his treatment.

The family has now said they want to file an application in the High Court to transfer Archie to a hospice.

They hope the High Court will allow their son to "die with dignity" after the 12-year-old was left comatose after a “freak accident” in April 2022.

Archie Battersbee has been in come after suffering an accident at home in April.

His mother, Hollie Dance revealed she found the 12-year-old with a ligature over his head and thinks he might have been taking part in an online challenge.

The 12-year-old hasn’t regained consciousness since.

He had been on life-support at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel and was ordered by the court to be taken off life support after a brain specialist revealed Archie's brain was dead and decaying and said the "chance of recovery is very low".